Search engines are the life and blood of Internet today. Google is so strong that it can make or break a business. It pays immensely to play by their rules.
Fact is that their rules are also good business sense. So, it is in our interest to build our online business using these rules.
However, Internet is full of charlatans who promise immediate succour by having your rank in search engines jump upwards in a short time.
But this is a dangerous policy and should be avoided. The old story of the race between hare and tortoise - much advantages in being a tortoise.
Below we give few sensible and easy to implement tips that will surely make your website rank very well for many keywords.
Do not chase the toughest keywords of your industry/niche at the first instance.
Start slowly, build your content using/targeting the low competition keywords/key phrases and over a period of time, you shall see immense gains accumulate to your website.
The tips/strategy is as follows:
- Find out the keywords/key phrases being used by people on the Internet and write articles using those keywords.
- Use the free keyword tool tool of Google Adwords to discover appropriate key phrases.
- Don't over use your keywords/key phrases in your article. Maximum twice use is good.
- Do not target more than one keyword/key phrase in one article post.
- The title of your article should mention the keywords/key phrase.
- Give description to the images that you use in your article.
- Try and at least give one link in each post to an older post on your blog/website.
- Find an outside resource and link to it.
- Make sure that the meta description field is not empty.
- Ensure that the URLs are search engine friendly. Use your main keyword for that article in it.
- Periodically check for broken links within your website.
- Install a site map
- Do not copy or plagiarise content. Try and restate the idea in your own words.
- Don't abandon your website/blog for a long time. Ideally on a regular schedule, but if not, then occasionally here and there do publish a new article
- Use lists/bullet points in your articles.
- Get yourself an account in all the major social media websites
- Share all your posts aggressively through your account in the social media websites
- Make it easy for your visitors to share your article by installing social media share buttons on your website.
- Enable commenting system in your website/blog so that the readers can leave a comment/join the discussion.
- Regularly check your website analytics to see what is bringing in the most traffic and the keywords associated with it.
- Try and create decent to good content. Always keep in mind how will this content look few months/years down the line. It should not age badly.
- Figure it out what people want and try and write about it.
- Do not carry advertisements for products which have no synergy with the theme of your website/blog.
- Do not accept guest post from those authors who republish the same content elsewhere or on their website.
- If your site is very general, then you will have to create a huge amount of content. If that is the challenge, then stick to a particular theme
- Open an account with Bing Webmaster tools. Register your site there. They have a feature which tells you what is wrong with your site, thus making it easier for you to fix it.
- Wherever possible, provide a link to YouTube.